Monday, July 14, 2014

Lunch Life Hack: Taylor Farms Salad Kits

I'm blogging on my lunch hour because I was sick all weekend and I didn't feel up to doing anything, not even being on the computer.

I am still sick and toughing it out a work. I just don't have anything creative to say, but I do have something to share with you that you may or may not care about.

I'm back on that crazy train of weight-loss and I find myself constantly wondering what to eat. I have simple criteria.

It must:
1. Taste delicious.
2. Be easy.
3. Be healthy.

The hardest criteria to satisfy on this list is taste delicious. We all know that healthy food tends to taste.... boring. I get really, really bored of the same ol' healthy meals because it's a lot of the same thing; salad, a few ounces of chicken, a tiny bit of dressing. BO-RING.

While I was in Hawaii, our family friend Tammy turned me on to the Taylor Farms salads. They have a bunch of different products, but specifically, she said that their salad kits were so good and she especially loved the Asian and the Southwest versions.

If you know anything about me you know that my TWO FAVORITE SALADS IN THE WHOLE WORLD (for the past two and a half years) have been these two varieties. I made sure to buy both at the closest Walmart in Hawaii and I loved them both.






I ran to get a few items from our local IGA grocery store which is more expensive that Walmart but is closer to our house and I definitely have a much smaller chance of getting accosted by a weird drug-peddling homeless person there than Walmart. Sooo... yeah. As I was perusing the veggie aisle, HARK! I see the Taylor Farms logo and my beloved salads.

HOW STOKED WAS I? SO STOKED.

They were listed at $3.99 which I thought was a steal from having purchased them previously only at Walmart...IN HAWAII. Where everything is ridiculously expensive.

Saturday night, I had the Southwest version for dinner with about 2 ounces of chicken cut up really small and then finished it last night for dinner with another 2 ounces. I didn't think to look at the nutritional value of the Southwest version last night because I didn't know I would be blogging this today.

I just had the Asian version for lunch (no chicken) and will scarf the rest tomorrow for lunch. I didn't make any chicken so I just had a string cheese for protein. The nutritional facts on the back said that without dressing one and a half cups is about 100 calories and with dressing it's about 160 calories. When I eat the salad as a full meal, I usually just half the bag. However, these (with a 3ish ounce chicken breast and a bit of pasta salad) fed my father in law Rick, Bryan and I in Hawaii comfortably, so you could probably get three meals out of it, especially if you have a good protein.

For me, $3.99 for two meals is great. $3.99 for three meals is even better! (That's Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, leaving you one day to meet friends for lunch and splurge on a hamburger from Mike's Grill [a local joint that is amazing] or wherever you choose and one day to bring leftovers from home. Uh, no brainer.)

I love these salads. They taste so fresh and the dressings are delicious. If you are looking for an easy, cheap, "prepared" lunch for work I recommend these. They are the bees knees.

Also, two or three of the same variety of these packs would make a decent sized potluck side dish!

Happy Monday!



*Pssst - Taylor Farms doesn't know me and no one paid me a dime to write this. Just sharing a yummy salad with you. Pinky promise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)