Monday, February 2, 2015

The State of Blogging

I've been reading blogs for a long time. I've also been writing my own blog for a long time. We've come to an interesting place as both readers and writers. Readers are starting to lose the blogs that they love. A lot of writers are closing up shop. One recently that I was devastated to lose was Young House Love. They are just one of many.


If you are an avid reader like I am, you may have also started to notice the shift in the way writers are writing. Many have 'click to tweet' buttons that are perfectly formed "bait" sentences that readers can share. Typically they represent the heart of the post. It's a good way for readers to save something they love while also bringing in potential traffic to the blog. 

It doesn't necessary bother me when I see it. I mean, it's typical that people share a post while extracting a quote from it. This can make it easier for the reader, which as a writer, is good in many ways. I might have a slight eyeroll because I feel like there is a growing trend of writers that are specifically writing in order to.. go viral? Maybe?

I notice it a lot. I'm sure we've all experienced the pinterest hooks, where we see an image and we click on it and it's crap. 

When I started writing, I didn't write to try to build a blog business. I'm not a good decorator, I can't build things. While I may be able to help you get on a budget (even though I suck at maintaining my own) or point you in a direction for makeup, I didn't build my blog on either of those things. I didn't build my blog on anything other than... my life. 

It's rare that I even share a written post on my personal Facebook. It feels weird. I have many friends on social media that shove their new business ventures down our throats and I don't want to be that person. Also, this isn't how I make my living. I don't need this to support my family so maybe that is where the difference truly lies. 

I do know this, there are many bloggers who are still going at it in a way that I respect, for whatever that means. Many of the bloggers I follow do it not because they have to, but because they love writing. They love sharing their lives, their strengths and passions with others. They may not have to do it for the money so the authenticity is there. 

That's important to me. And while we have had some casualties, like Young House Love, there are also some blogs that have grown brighter. 

Here are a few bloggers that in my opinion haven't lost their voice, even if it has grown and matured over the years. Many blog about their life, only two have a very specific focus (Which I've noted below).  

Bye Bye Pie (Warning: Language)
Thrifty Decor Chick (Home Decor)
Flourish in Progress (Warning: Language)
An Inch of Gray
Graceful Order (Home Organization)

Who are your favorite bloggers and have you noticed the same trend I have?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)